Subject: Re: Digital Video....
From: Eric Geppner <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 11:27:32 -0500

On Tue, 19 Dec 1995, David Warner wrote:

> 
> 
> With all this talk of video equipment, I thought this might be a good 
> time to ask if anyone knows what is happening with the rumored Digital 
> Video Tape format?
> 
> This is the video equivalent to DAT but the last I heard, Sony had the 
> equipment perfected and on the market overseas, but American release was 
> being held because Hollywood is scared shitless that a lossless video 
> tape format would make piracy much more prominent and they wanted Sony to 
> develop some sort of built-in protection that would prevent duplication 
> of any commercial video.
> 
> Someone posted some basic info on the Video Toaster mailing list about 
> the new 3-CCD Digital Sony camera that uses 6mm tapes for only $3,800...
> I need to purchase some new higher-quality editing equipment, but if DVT 
> is just around the corner, then I'll wait!

	There has been a lot of discussion of this new format in 
rec.video.production over the last three weeks or so. Most people who have 
used it comment that it is *beautiful*. Currently there are three/four 
cameras available two from Sony and one from Panasonic. Panasonic is selling
it under two different model numbers; one AG-EZ1 is in their consumer line
the other PV- something is in their pro line. The cameras are identical, 
the only difference is in which accessories you get with the box. Of the 
three available only the Sony's have digital outs in adition to the Y/C 
and composite out. The digital out is compliant with IEEE 1394 "Firewire"
developed by Apple Computer. As part of the standard the digital port is 
bi-directional, connect two Sony's together and either one will feed the 
other. The highend Sony, the VX-1000, includes mechanical Super SteadyShot
an improvement over the system offered in the TR-101 and TR-700. It also 
includes a high-rez color view finder with roughly twice the number of 
pixels that the TR-700's finder offered. It's powered by a 
second-generation Lithium-Ion battery with a run time of about 30 minutes
(accoording to one user). The camera weighs in at about three pounds and 
is physically similar to the VX-3 Sony's 3-chip Hi-8. If you recieve TV 
Technology last months issue contains a couple articals written by Frank 
Beacham about these new cameras. In his words this format is a *Beta* killer
he didn't even mention what it's going to do to Hi-8 or S-VHS. 

In addition the new format which Sony calls DV is directly compatable 
with Panasonics DVCPro format in fact they are identical except for the track
width, DVCPro's tracks are 18 microns instead of just 10 for DV. DVCPro 
also includes a linear control track and a cue track, all feature that make
DVCPro easier to edit with. Panasonic is planning to ship DVCPro stuff in 
first quarter '96 the line includes full sized edit decks, two full sized 
ENG and EFP cameras, a laptop cuts only editor, and a deck capable of 
feeding a non-linear system at four times normal speed. Thus if you want 
a "traditional" edit suite you will be able to buy one early next year.
Prices are all in the 15 to 20 thousand dollar range for the DVCPro gear.

A potentionally better way to go is wait for Apple and Skipstone to 
release commercial "Firewire" computer interfaces. Thus allowing you to 
feed the DV signal directly into your favourite non-linear editor. I have 
heard romours that Apple will be including a Firewire port on the 
motherboard of their PowerSurge 2 machines.

This is far too much information right now :-) Sony has a website at 
http://www.sony.com/ check under consumer camcoders for the info on the 
VX-1000s and VX-700s. Skipstone, the company most involved in Firewire 
development also has a website try http://www.skipstone.com.

	Lastly Sony has a very nice ad in the latest issue of A/V Systems. 

> 
> 
>                                      -David Warner
> 
> 
> 
 /------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Eric Geppner                               | [email-masked]  |
| Chief Engineer                             |                             |
| WTOP-TV10                                  | Snow, Snow, Snow, Snow, Snow|
| SUNY Oswego, Oswego NY 13126               |  Snow, Snow, Wonderful Snow |
 \------------------------------------------------------------------------/